A key aspect of the Awards will be its underlying focus on the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals - UN SDGs 7, 13 and 17 - by honouring policies and projects that increase energy access, advance sustainable energy solutions and leadership-driven initiatives that address climate change. As envisioned under the SDG 17 Targets, WAPPA will further look to mobilise resources and attract the needed investment to implement policies, and to support projects and initiatives that accelerate sustainable energy expansion across West Africa.
Goal: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
• By 2030, ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services.
• By 2030, increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.
• By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
• By 2030, enhance international cooperation to facilitate access to clean energy research and technology, including renewable energy, energy efficiency and advanced and cleaner fossil-fuel technology, and promote investment in energy infrastructure and clean energy technology
• By 2030, expand infrastructure and upgrade technology for supplying modern and sustainable energy services for all in developing countries, in particular least developed countries, small island developing States, and land-locked developing countries, in accordance with their respective programmes of support
Goal: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
• Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity to climate-related hazards and natural disasters in all countries.
• Integrate climate change measures into national policies, strategies and planning.
• Improve education, awareness-raising and human and institutional capacity on climate change mitigation, adaptation, impact reduction and early warning.
• Implement the commitment undertaken by developed-country parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change to a goal of mobilizing jointly $100 billion annually by 2020 from all sources to address the needs of developing countries in the context of meaningful mitigation actions and transparency on implementation and fully operationalize the Green Climate Fund through its capitalization as soon as possible.
• Promote mechanisms for raising capacity for effective climate change-related planning and management in least developed countries and small island developing States, including focusing on women, youth and local and marginalized communities.
Goal: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
• Adopt and implement investment promotion regimes for least developed countries
• Promote the development, transfer, dissemination and diffusion of environmentally sound technologies to developing countries on favourable terms, including on concessional and preferential terms, as mutually agreed.
• Enhance policy coherence for sustainable development.
• Enhance the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development, complemented by multi-stakeholder partnerships that mobilize and share knowledge, expertise, technology and financial resources, to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals in all countries, in particular developing countries
To contribute to the realisation of these SDGs and Targets, the West Africa Power and Petroleum Awards (WAPPA) will embody cooperation and partnerships between governments, existing regional blocs, donors, investors, financiers, top-level business executives and the private sector, to promote sustainable energy development across West Africa.